Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Expectations

I was asked a few days ago, “who are you, what are you about, what is your voice?” In the moment, I stumbled to find an answer. Upon continued thought, I have some more ideas. 
I’m a wife, I’m a mother, I’m a friend, I’m a teacher. 
I’m a woman who has been through things. Pain, hurt, loss, joy, hope, love; these all play a part in who I’ve become. 
I’m a believer, but my faith no longer fits neatly on a coffee cup.
The more I’ve been shaken and broken, the more my fa
ith has been stretched and tested, the deeper it has gone. As my confidence in religion has waned, my assurance in God has strengthened.

What is my voice? When speaking out for justice or standing for those who don’t have a voice, I can be a bit strident. And I'm not sure that I apologize for that.
At the same time when someone needs compassion or understanding, when someone is hurting or in need, I'm the girl who shows up with a casserole and says, “Well this is pretty bad, isn’t it? But, I'm here now. And we’re going to do this together.”
I'm not going to promise you that things are gonna get better, I’m not going to give you pithy sayings, I'm not going to promise you an easy formula- because they don’t work.
I'm going to tell you to adjust your expectations, but always, always, expect that God will be there.
Because at the end of the day, that is who I am, and that is my voice, my message. Life is happy and hurtful, messy and magnificent. You can expect both pain and joy, and above all, you can expect God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I will review comments as soon as I can. Thanks.