Friday, August 19, 2011

Beer Truck Musings

The other day as I left a parking lot, a large beer truck was turning in and as he barely missed my bumper, it got me to thinking about how much I love my husband.

I'll let you take that in for a moment. :-)

Ok, a short (ish) explanation. Many years ago I dated a guy whose dad was an alcoholic and got hit by a beer truck and got a large settlement and moved to Florida to never work again.  When I saw the beer truck and wondered if he was going to bump my vehicle, I thought of the nice settlement, which led me to think of Danny which led me to think of our brief relationship, which led me to think of my other, even more brief relationships before I met and married my husband.

I never really dated much at all but there were a few guys I thought were pretty nifty and I wished and wondered what it would be like to marry one of them.  Some even made me think I was heartbroken, although in retrospect, I realize I was not.

Now, 15-20 years later, I am SO GLAD that I didn't end up with any of those guys!  Don't get me wrong, many of them were great guys who turned into nice men and I'm still friends and in contact with them. And this  is where men all over the country wonder if they ever broke my heart.  
My point is, the things I was so sure that I wanted, I see now that I truly did not.

 My husband is far from perfect (sorry honey) but after 11 years, I am more sure than ever that he is the one I want to be with forever. He puts up with my quirks, I still laugh at his dumb jokes, we balance each other out in a variety of other ways, not to mention, I can't imagine giving birth in front of anyone else.
There is a a country song about "sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers" and while I disagree with the theology, I truly appreciate the sentiment.

Happy Anniversary Jeff, I love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts. I will review comments as soon as I can. Thanks.